- Consumer Reports finds concerning levels of arsenic and lead in juice
Apple and grape juice tests show levels that can contribute to long-term health problems.
- Consumer Reports poll finds 93% of consumers want labeling on meat
Consumers overwhelmingly desire information about the origin of the foods they purchase.
- CR Poll: Two-thirds of Americans want FDA to inspect domestic, foreign food supply
Overwhelming majority of consumers want country of origin labeling loopholes closed; GE and cloned animals labeled
- CU lauds mandatory country of origin labeling
A CU guide helps consumers understand country of origin labeling (COOL)
- Coalition letter to the House about food safety
Salmonella, foodborne illnesses, recalls: now is the time for reforms of the Food and Drug Administration
- Food safety advocates identify top food risks
Nations’ leading food safety advocates explore consumer challenges at ACCI/AAEA National Convention
- Improved safety standards and traceability needed for produce
Salmonella outbreak shows weaknesses in safety system
- Strengthen FDA’s authority over medical devices
CU also supports for the FDA to require recalls of unsafe food and drugs
- New authority and funding needed for FDA
CU welcomes commitment to protect nations’ drug & food supply
- Congress moves forward to protect food supply
FDA inspections and oversight essential
- Chi Tribune Article on E. coli in Beef
beef, e. coli, usda
- Working with the Sustainable Community to Make Food Safety a Reality
CU believes that FDA food safety reform legislation will not hamper the development of sustainable agriculture.
- Consumers need safer food sources – Farms included
- CU Tells House to Make Our Food Safe!!
Consumers Union with the Make Our Food Safe coalition has just sent a letter to the House of Representatives urging them to: …pass H.R. 2749, the Food Safety Enhancement Act of 2009 (FSEA) before the August district work period.
- Obama Administration Working Group on Food Safety
Working group releases report on what is needed.
- Good Grief! Could it be true? UPDATED
The Farm to Consumer Legal Defense Fund (FCLDF), a group primarily devoted to preserving the right to sell raw milk, has mounted a vociferous internet campaign to defeat HR 2749, the Food Safety Enhancement Act (FSEA), alleging that the bill will hurt small farms. The bill was recently received unanimous approval from the House Energy Continue Reading
- Prescription for New FDA Head
Is this appropriately named appointee the key to overhauling America’s Food Safety system?
- COOL is getting Stronger Now
Agriculture Secretary Vilsack strengthens COOL
- And you thought your foods were already COOL…
As of September 30, food manufacturers and retailers are required to label which country your beef, lamb, pork, fish, fruits, vegetables and peanuts came from.
- Tracing food from farm to table
We’ve been saying that food would be safer if the nation implemented existing technologies to trace food from farm to table. Now The Washington Post is saying it, too!
- Survey Finds That Fish Are Often Not What Label Says Source: New York Times (Thursday February 21, 2020)
- Country of origin labeling shows your steak’s from three countries Source: St. Petersburg Times (Tuesday April 7, 2020)
After a seven-year congressional wrangle among trade groups angling for a leg up, supermarkets finally deployed country-of-origin labeling across the fresh food departments.
- Consumers Union Is Getting COOL Source: Cattle Network (Wednesday June 8, 2020)
Consumers Union comes down hard in favor of COOL, adding heavyweight political punching power to the effort.